r_vecchio: ([Ben/Ma] Only Attack The Ones They Love)
[personal profile] r_vecchio
How many languages do I speak? Two. Three. Two. The third one is a little tricky to define. I was born with English and Italian as you all know already, those of you who actually know me. If you don't, why the hell are you wasting time reading this? It's not interesting in the slightest.

Anyway, English and Italian*. The latter was spoken in the house when I was a kid for the most part, I'd say, which really screwed me up when I first went to school and all the adults spoke nothing but English. There were - still are - a fair few Italian kids in the neighborhood though, so that helped. Uh, then as I grew older English became my first language, much to my Ma's disappointment. She wanted me to keep a hold of my heritage or something but I kept telling her I wasn't gonna get a job in the CPD if I turned up at the interview wearing red, green and white and speaking in tongues. You shoulda seen how thrilled she was when I told her Ange was Italian-American too. Man, she musta thanked the Virgin Mary a thousand times that day.

Now uh, I only really speak English. Italian is kept to the house and while I am still fluent it's just too much effort most of the time. When you're sat at the dinner table and everyone is bickering the only way I'm guaranteed to get a word in edge ways is if I speak English.

The third language I can't really speak, I mean I can sometimes, but mostly I can just understand it. Which is a feat all by itself. And it's Freak Speak. Mostly Canadian stuff, Mounties, stuff like that. Took me a long while to learn it but I think I'm pretty good now.

Judging by my latest conversation with Asher, I better start studying Talos-talk before I completely sink. So ask me again in a while and hopefully the answer will be four.

* Though it's always really good with the ladies, if you learn one or two sentences in other languages. Like uh, Spanish. French. The language of looooove. Y'know? Great way to impress them, trust me.

Date: 2009-05-17 03:08 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
I'm only fluent in English really, the other two I have, Irish and French, sort mingle in my head. It's kinda confusing. Especially in the Oral Exams.

I think you're so lucky to have been able to grow up in your 'original' tongue. In school, they kinda suck the fun out of learning Irish.

And think you're mother's right, it's important to keep up with the heritage, though I suppose Irish is a special case, because of the English actually working to make it die out.

It kinda worked too.

With regards to *Italian is as much of a romance language as the other two, there, Ray. In fact, French, has an added stuck-up-ness to it. Having been to France, this, I know.

I leave you with the only Istrian (that's like Croatian sort of area) I know: Dobra dan (Good Day).

Date: 2009-05-17 03:24 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
Yes, Ray. For the Leaving Certificate, a student is expected to pass an Oral Exam in learned languages order to pass.

Well, not pass, there's an Oral, an Aural and a written exam. The written gives you the most points and the oral and aural exams are equal weighting.

Date: 2009-05-17 03:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] r-vecchio.livejournal.com
Oh. Oh. Like a speaking exam? Okay. For a second there I thought you meant-- never mind.

So you think Italian is more romantic than the other languages, right? So if I wanna impress someone all I gotta do is speak like I do at home?

Date: 2009-05-17 04:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
The dentists? We'll assume that, even if it's not true.

I'd say go with the Italian. I think really the point is: Not English. Or German. Because those are business languages.

Eastern European and Russian is good, if you want to factor in the spy-vibe.

French is good with people who speak it. You know, all of a sudden, you're dumb as they think you are? Kinda like Latin that way. That's probably where I get the whole arrogant vibe.

Spanish is kinda chilled. Maybe a party-goer.

Italian is just the whole 'Venice', 'Rome' thing. Rich food, rich tastes.

Date: 2009-05-17 04:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] r-vecchio.livejournal.com
Sure, the dentist.

...what language do you suggest to impress someone who can't be impressed?

Date: 2009-05-17 05:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
Ah... well, Latin tends to be the language of the Insufferable Know It Alls.

Date: 2009-05-17 07:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] r-vecchio.livejournal.com
That's great, really, really great. One small thing though:

I can't speak Latin!

Date: 2009-05-17 07:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
Well, neither do I. This would explain why they're insufferable.

Though they say something stupid, then you can say: 'Si tacuisses, philophus mansisses' which is the Latin for: 'If kept your mouth shut, we might have thought you were clever'.

Edit: Probably should have someone else there too. I have no idea how to change that to the singular.
Edited Date: 2009-05-17 07:28 pm (UTC)

Date: 2009-05-17 07:30 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] r-vecchio.livejournal.com
So you do speak Latin. Which is no help at all.

Date: 2009-05-17 07:36 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
I do not. I got that out of a book. Yes, Prime Minister (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=yes+prime+minister&aq=0&oq=%22Yes%2C+p) has been novelised. Super-smart super-egotistic people in there.

That's how helpful I am. Working hard for you.

Date: 2009-05-17 07:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] r-vecchio.livejournal.com
My apologies, thank you. Still, I don't think Latin is gonna cut it. I think I'll stick to English and start figuring out what to say instead of which language to say it in.

Date: 2009-05-17 07:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] diabolicalfiend.livejournal.com
Wish I could help you there.

Profile

r_vecchio: (Default)
Ray Vecchio

August 2016

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910 111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 13th, 2026 09:54 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios